So many of us are so hung up about weight loss and often find ourselves frustrated about not seeing physical weight loss results.
If this is you, don’t let this stop you!
Exercise greatly improves the longevity and quality of your life! Research shows that ‘fat but fit’ people are much more healthy than ‘slim but sedentary’ people. Physical inactivity is the highest risk factor for many chronic diseases, but the great news is it is the most modifiable factor for treatment and prevention of these diseases:
- Cardiovascular disease and Stroke – Exercise will lower the mortality risk by 30%
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) – When our blood pressure rises above 115/75 each 20/10 increase doubles the risk of cardiovascular death
- Diabetes, by decreasing insulin resistance
- Obesity, increasing your muscle mass and decreasing you fat mass
- Alzheimer’s disease, increasing cognitive function through increasing the flow of blood to the brain
- Some cancers
- Falls (fractures)
- Hypercholesteriomia (High cholesterol)
Weight really is just a number!
Exercise has so much more to give than just weight loss. Think about all the things you can achieve with more quality life years. If you are a regular gym goer, well done for getting into the gym and exercising. Every little bit will help in improving the quality of your life. If not, let’s try channeling these reasons to exercise as motivation and re-imagine the possibilities of a long, healthy and happy life.